What is the best analytics platform for SEO and blogging?
Q: How can I measure traffic to a blog post?
Google Analytics will EASILY give you great data about your blog posts, in terms of inbound traffic. You just have to verify / make sure that the Google Analytics code is on each and every page of your blog. There are plug in's for the major platforms, such as WordPress that will ensure that your Google Analytics code is there.
You can use RANKCHECKER from SEOBook and other services to measure your rank for target searches. So I think of an SEO-friendly blog post like a process of -
- Identify the target SEO keywords. Especially, use Google suggest to identify good targets.
- Write a good blog headline (TITLE tag), META DESCRIPTION, and keyword heavy blog post.
- Tag the blog post appropriately for WordPress (build tag themes in WordPress).
- Launch the blog post, and include 'one click' link from your home page.
- Measure your RANK on Google for the target searches.
- Measure inbound traffic and measure if they are doing your desired ACTION (e.g., registering).
You can do ALL of this in Google Analytics as I teach in my SEO course, EXCEPT the rank checking...
Hope this helps!
- Jason McDonald