On Page SEO & Page Tags – Session #3 of our SEO MOOC / Tutorial
Once you know your keywords, where do you put them? The answer is: page tags. Page Tags are the foundation of HTML, and they both a) control how the browser displays information to humans, and b) control the messages that get sent to Google and Bing about what is important on a page. Understanding how Page Tags work is critical to success at SEO. So for our third class in our SEO MOOC we learn how to speak Google through page tags. Let’s get started!
Here are the links Jason uses during this video tutorial.
- PAGE TAG BASICS:
- Go to Google and do some of our popular SEO example searches, and then VIEW SOURCE to see the PAGE TAG structure. This is how these pages a) tell the browser how to display information, and b) talk to Google.
- Understanding Keyword Density
- GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION STARTER GUIDE
- Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide (PDF Format).
- MAJOR TAGS
- TITLE tag = headline on Google, about 69 characters (examine a Google search)
- META DESCRIPTION tag = description on Google, about 155 characters (examine a Google search)
- HEADER tags = important signal to Google about keywords (review the Google SEO Guide(Revisit the pages for very competitive searches, and see how they strategically place their keyowrds into these basic tags).
- PAGE AUTOPSY
- Winning Pages – look at the pages above.
- Compare and Contrast Some Pages:
Get the FREE Worksheet and Quizzes