The Marketing Book
Welcome to The Marketing Book, 2020 edition! My name is Jason McDonald, and I’m excited to be your guide to the fun-filled and enriching task of business marketing.
This is a book about better thinking, better doing, and better measuring when it comes to marketing your business. This book will lead you step-by-step to a practical marketing plan for your business, both online and off.
This book teaches the think / do / measure method of marketing. Each Chapter teaches a marketing task by, first, explaining how to think about the concept, second, giving you specific to-dos to actually go do it, and third, providing tips on how to measure what’s working (and what’s not) to do it better over time. Throughout the book, we’ll use the example of Jason’s Cat Boarding Emporium (JCBE), a fictitious business in San Francisco, California, that boards cats for people who are leaving the city on vacation, and also offers cat grooming services as well as cat toys and paraphernalia for purchase online. As the pretend marketing manager of JCBE, we’ll brainstorm ways to better market our products and services to affluent, busy San Franciscans who want to get out of town and have a place to stash the cat. With the framework of think / do / measure in your head, and with the miracle of the Internet at your fingertips, you can dive deeper into any marketing task and become a better marketer. “Once you know the question,”
I. DEFINE WHAT YOU SELL, THAT THEY WANT
1. What You Have, That They Want
2. Market Research or Marketing Research?
3. The Product / Service Matrix
4. B2B B2G B2C
5. Buyer Personas
6. Positioning: Find Your Niche
7. Twaggle: Your BVP as Blueprint
II. BUILD YOUR BRAND
8. Brand Identity, Branding, & Brand Equity
9. Promote It: The Marketing Mix, the Promotion Mix
10. The Customer Strikes Back: Reputation Management
11. Twaggle: Branding along the Customer Journey
III. MAKE YOURSELF EASY TO FIND
12. The Five Discovery Paths
13. Search: Can They Find You?
14. Review / Trust: Do They Trust You?
15. eWOM / Share / Influencers: Will They Talk About You?
16. Interrupt / Advertise: This Could be Annoying (& Might Just Work)
17. Browse: The Power of Next To
18. Twaggle: Discover Your Discovery Paths
IV. CREATE COMPELLING CONTENT
19. What is Content Marketing?
20. Persuade into the Predictably Irrational
21. Content along the Discovery Paths
22. The Medium is the Message
23. Twaggle: the Twaggle of Content
V. THINK AND DEPLOY
24. Search Engines: SEO and AdWords
25. Understanding Social Media Marketing
26. Remarketing: Hello, Hello, Hello Advertising
27. Word of Mouth, eWOM, and Influencer Marketing
28. Email Marketing: the Rodney Dangerfield of Digital
29. Personal Selling – Real to Digital & Back Again
30. Tradition: Traditional Media & The Digital Reality
31. Twaggle: Fish Where the Fish Are
Twaggle: Build a Marketing Plan that Works
~ Jason McDonald, Author
~ Publication Date: January 2, 2020