2018-2019 School Year: Deadline – July 1, 2018
Click here to win the winning essay for 2017-2018, and here to read the winning essay for 2016-2017
As a leader in SEO Training, the JM Internet Group is proud to announce a new scholarship opportunity to encourage today’s students to brainstorm New Media opportunities – SEO (Search Engine Optimization), Social Media Marketing, and online advertising via mechanisms like AdWords, Google/Bing, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
New Media – defined as the Internet, in general, and websites plus social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. in particular) – burst on the world scene in 1994. Starting just a few years ago, marketing “went social” and now is “going mobile.” Mobile phones, tablets, 24/7 news cycles, and our society’s addiction to everything Internet – from YouTube to Twitter, SnapChat to LinkedIn – is only forecasted to increase. How is the online Internet world continuing to change the endeavor of marketing?
Major technologies in the NEW marketing include:
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization the art and science of getting companies to the top of Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
- Social Media Marketing – the use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and other social media sites to build a brand image and spur social shares.
- Online Advertising as in Google AdWords – the use of paid advertising techniques across all Internet / online media.
- Email marketing – the use of email newsletters and “opt in” emails to connect brands to fans.
Today’s High School seniors and college freshman face a New World Order when it comes to marketing. Gone, or perhaps less relevant, are the four P’s of marketing. In their place, are the new challenges of marketing: impressions, views, click thru’s, viral marketing and the like. How is marketing changing? What new opportunities (and new problems) does the new online marketing world create? How does what is taught in formal educational institutions need to be improved?
JM New Media Scholarship: SEO / Social Media Marketing / AdWords
The JM SEO & SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING SCHOLARSHIP offers a tuition scholarship opportunity to USA-based High School Seniors and College Freshman on an annual basis. For the 2018-2019 school year, available awards are:
- $500 – Scholarship winner, awarded for tuition payment towards Fall, 2018, tuition at an accredited USA college.
Scholarship Application Details
The scholarship application is as follows:
- Submit an essay of no more than 1000 words in Microsoft Word format on the following prompt:
- New Media and New Marketing. How do new media such as websites, social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat, challenge traditional ideas of marketing? In what ways should colleges or universities adapt their teaching methodologies to better prepare marketing majors for the New World of online marketing of Internet, social media, and mobile marketing? What existing marketing concepts remain important, which ones are becoming irrelevant, and what new concepts (or new skills) should be taught to today’s college marketing majors? If you, as the essay writer, could suggest revisions to the requirements and ideas of a marketing major at a major US college or university what would they be?
- All applicants must be either current US High School Seniors in the 2016-2017 school year or college freshmen. Proof of enrollment at a US institution (either High School or College) will be required of the winning applicant.
- Non-USA residents are not eligible to apply.
- Employees and family of the JM INTERNET GROUP are not eligible.
- Application deadline: EXTENDED: all essays must be submitted no later than July 1. Winner will be announced on August 1, 2018.
- NOTE: this is an ANNUAL scholarship and will be available in the 2018-2019 school year. BOOKMARK this page for details.
Begin Your Application
To begin your application, fill out the form below. You will receive an email response with details on how to submit your essay. If you have any questions, please contact the JM Internet Group at 510-894-6791 or via the contact form on this website.