Posted: April 18, 2015.
For most local businesses, Yelp is an important marketing tool. Especially in “blue” states and cities like New York, NY, or San Francisco, CA, Yelp is one of the largest local review sites – if not the largest, and the “goto” place for restaurants, hair salons, plumbers, and other local services. Your business needs to be on Yelp.
In this video, I explain how to “find” and “claim” your business on Yelp as well as how to create a new business listing on Yelp. By claiming your business, you can
- Optimize your listing by writing keyword-heavy, Yelp-friendly content (that will make you show up better in Yelp searches).
- Upload photographs of your business.
- Participate by responding to reviews.
There are two scenarios
- Your business ALREADY exists on Yelp – in this case you a) find it, and b) claim it.
- Your business does NOT exist on Yelp – in this case you a) create it, and b) claim it.
OK, let’s get started!
Watch the Video on ‘How to Claim a Business on Yelp’
Or watch the How to Claim a Business on Yelp video on YouTube!
Claiming a Business on Yelp, Step-by-step
Here are your steps to claim an existing business on Yelp –
- Go to http://biz.yelp.com/.
- Enter your business name, and address and/or phone number. (We’ll use a fictitious business, Jason’s Hamburger Joint, as our example; and a ficitious email (email@example.com)
- Find your business, and begin the claiming process.
Here are the steps to create a new business on Yelp.
- Go to http://biz.yelp.com/
- Enter your business name, and address and/or phone number (verify that it is NOT in Yelp).
- Scroll to the bottom and click ‘add your business to Yelp.’
Useful Yelp Resources
- Yelp for Business – this is the starting point for claiming and optimizing a business listing, as well as participating as a business in Yelp.
- Yelp Tutorial – Yelp’s official tutorial for business. NOTE: it gives you the ‘Yelp’ perspective, which is quite a bit ‘pollyanna’ about how Yelp really works.
- Yelp Webinars – helpful but salesy webinars by Yelp, about Yelp for business owners.
- Yelp on YouTube – Yelp’s YouTube playlist.
- Yelp Blog – Yelp’s official blog for businesses (and everyone else).
- Yelp Support – technical support information for business owners by Yelp, on Yelp.
- Yelp and Reviews – Yelp’s sensitivity spot is review manipulation; here is their response.
Get My Free SEO Toolbook and Other Goodies
If you’ve watched this video this far (or read the transcript), then please sign up for free goodies on my website at https://www.jm-seo.org/free including the mailing list which will get you access to my SEO Toolbook, Social Media Toolbook, and dashboards with hundreds of free SEO and social media marketing tools.
~ Jason McDonald