Books! Yes, books! Not blog posts. Not YouTube videos. Not online courses. But books! Books make you smarter as a marketer, and they are an incredible resource that many people don’t tap into.
Set aside some time each week – maybe 1/2 an hour on your lunch, or maybe Sundays… to identify and read books in your industry. That means, also books on “digital marketing” and its major pillars – SEO, Social Media Marketing, and Google Ads (as well as online ads in general). It can also be books specific to a platform such as Instagram, TikTok, etc.
Video: Identifying Books to Read on (Digital) Marketing
Here are the steps –
- Build out a list of keywords that matter to you and your business, generally of the “how to” variety – such as SEO, social media marketing, Google Ads, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
- Search Amazon by keywords – for example, SEO.
- Use some Amazon tricks such as appending a year to the keyword as in SEO 2021 or email marketing 2021
- Other Tricks –
- Read reviews.
- Look at the publication date.
- Look at the category and bookmarket the category (as in Internet marketing or small business and entrepreneurship).
- Browse from the highest level category as in books > business and money > marketing and sales
- Browse, identify, and bookmark ‘new releases‘ by keywords as in Business and Money (New Releases) > Marketing and Sales
- Invest in an Amazon Kindle, or tablet such as Kindle Fire – as you can instantly download books and make the whole process fast and easy.
- Actually read the books; or at least skim them for actionable tips and ideas relevant to your business.
Tips and To-dos
- Set aside some PRIORITY time each week to read industry-related books, such as books on ‘digital marketing.’
- Use Amazon hacks to identify the best books by topic.
- Pay attention to NEW or TRENDING books based on Amazon categories.
- Use Kindle or the Kindle app on a tablet to make the process fast and easy.