Google is the world’s largest search engine, but – I would argue – the folks at Google are kinda sort lazy. Many times, you do a search and the results really are not that great, especially things that are time-sensitive. Because Google likes links, it will often show you ANCIENT content that has a lot of links rather than more relevant FRESH content.
In this video, let me show you a few Google hacks I use to find the latest and greatest content on Google.
Video: Using Google Search Tools to Find Fresh Content
Here are the steps –
- Know what your searching for. A topic that you want to stay informed about.
- Enter that search term into Google (or vary those search terms).
- Use Google hacks –
- For instance, social media marketing or COVID-19. It can be any search term, really, but especially ones where you want the latest and greatest information.
- On the right, click on the Tools Menu > then choose a time horizon (e.g., Past week) as in COVID 19 (Past Week), or Social Media Marketing (Past Month).
- You can also use the toolbar across the top to look by category, News and Videos being the most relevant as in Social Media Marketing (Past Month > News) or Social Media Marketing (Past Month > Videos).
Tips and To-dos
- Realize you can use Google as a way to search not ‘evergreen’ but new or trending topic by keyword.
- Learn the basic tools menu.
- Filter by time horizon.
- Filter by media type.