- Clicks are getting more expensive (not less), despite Google earnings calls.
- The “App revolution” is pulling more and more mobile usage “out of” the Google orbit. So “go native” on Apps.
- Using Google’s “Display Network” (GDN) may make a lot of sense because a) clicks are cheaper, and b) people spend time interacting with content. (Not sure I agree with this, because click fraud and bad matches are rampant on the GDN).
- Keyword match types no longer matter (?) on AdWords (not sure I agree with this one either).
Going viral / getting shares. The “false dichotomy” between paid and organic. He has a list of key influencers in his industry (e.g., on Twitter, perhaps on LinkedIn). Then the steps become
- Content Creation. Create interesting, shareable content. (e.g., inforgraphic, long-form blog post, something useful, provocative, informative, sentimental, etc.).
- Advertise this content, especially to influencers. Get them to “take the bait” and spread it.
- Encourage, grow a virtuous circle among the ad, the influencers, and the followers.
In that way, creating interesting, new content is now synergistic with advertising, not opposed to it. Wonderful food 4 thought!